Friday, October 18, 2013

A Call to Action

I was having lunch with 2 good friends yesterday and we got to talking about how we know when we have fullfilled our calling.

I may be totally wrong in this, but something in my gut says I'm not.

I don't think we are ever done with our calling and if we think we are, we aren't looking hard enough.

Anytime there is a need, are we not called to fill that need?

My office is about half a mile off I35. For those of you not from the south, I35 is the main highway between Dallas and Oklahoma City and connects to I40 which will take you across the US while I35 will take you straight up from Mexico almost to the Candian border (you hit a great lake before the border though!).  I say all this to say I work just off a major highway and there is a gas station on the other side of the highway so we get a lot of on-off traffic at this particular exit including trucks due to a distribution center next door as well.

Recently we have had a couple that has shown up on the southbound exit. One of them will stand there at a time, with their van on the off ramp, usually with their dog in tow (or if it is the lady inside her shirt sticking its head out out), holding a sign saying they are broken down and don't have enough money, please help.

I noted how they would be there for 2-3 days at a time, dissappear over the weekend, and then they had reappeared the next week in the same spot, althernating between the woman and the man.

My point was, I feel called to do something, not necessarily give them money but to do something, even if I don't (which shamefully I usually don't). I have given them a bag of food but that is about it.

Everytime we are called to serve, we are supposed to serve. We, I, rationalize it away saying "oh, I don't know what they will do with it," or, "they are just scamming for money." Who am I to judge their actions? I haven't spoken with them long enough to know their story. What I know is what I have observed.

So we aren't ever done. As long as we are here, we are to keep our eyes and our hearts open, to go where we are called and to serve where there is a need.

Even when it isn't convient for us, even when it makes us uncomfortable, even if I just don't want to. I am call to, and I hope that I can and will make the right choice and listen to God next time I see a need and I will be HIS hands and feet. Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment